Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

With the Price of Success Secrets Seriously Dropping


The price of the secrets of success is dropping. Once upon a time, the secrets of success were only available through accomplished role models of good character and success or in the books, they wrote. The internet came and the secrets of success began to leak out all over the web but they were secrets of a lesser quality. The biggest secrets should be more expensive or maybe the level of success determines the price but make no mistake about it, the price has gone right down the toilet.

In order to make a full disclosure, I too am a purveyor of secrets for a price but I figure what you save on Band-Aids make mine a good deal. My highest value secrets have left wounds and scars so buying my secrets are a bargain.

The secret selling business has grown right along with the janitorial business. More people today are selling secrets and it’s no secret there are more people selling janitorial services than ever before.


My dad died when I was ten years old so I was always on the lookout for good advice. In my early twenties, I started a very careful study that has continued to this day for wisdom. Applied wisdom is the best kind so anytime I found those principals I put them at the top of my list.

Here is wisdom that is a secret as far as I can tell from everything I see my fellow janitors putting out to the property and facility management community. Whoever would be the greatest among you, will be the servant of all. This is a law just like the law of gravity, it is immutable and universal.

To illustrate, think how Hitler rose to power. Hitler appeared as a SERVANT of the German people. This law works for good or for evil. It works for dictators and it works for leaders across the entire spectrum of human endeavors including janitorial company owners. Does not matter how you FEEL... as fake as Hitler or as heartfelt as Mother Theresa, it just works.

All you who are yelling and screaming at your prospects who manage facilities and properties about how great you are, are simply wasting your time. Here is another secret, to the managers and facility professionals who sign cleaning contracts, you just aren’t special in any way shape or form. You are becoming a commodity that can be bought by the pound. As Tyler Durden said, ever so clearly “you are NOT a beautiful and unique snowflake”.

You want power in your market place? Do you want to be a leader in the industry in your town? Then become a servant to those you seek to influence. Look for ways that you can serve them by bringing solutions, connections, answers to problems they are dealing with, new stuff of value to them or old stuff of value to younger prospects.

Are you in the market for the latest secret to success? Or true wisdom?

Learn first what matters to prospects (and employees), and then be on the lookout for resources, solutions that matter to those you want to hear what you have to say.

When you start to look, you will find no shortage of these. I know a whole bunch of them (but I am keeping them a secret). The biggest secret of all I just gave you free.

3 comments:

  1. Bravo, bravo. I am still giving you a virtual clap here. I cannot agree more. My saying was always - For the greater good. I would remind people in the office, is what you are doing for the greater good? Or are you just doing something selfish. I shuddered at the selfish ones. I could not stand those kind of folks. Me, Me, Me, drove me nutty. If you do something, be sure it is for the "greater good" or you are wasting your time and your companies time. It just goes hand in hand with Ed's excellent post here. Wow, I want to learn to write like Ed!!
    Thanks so much,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic article, Ed. Thank you. I appreciate your willingness to take a hard line and expose an epidemic in business relations. I would proffer that the secret to success in business I have found is akin to yours: "Pursue a noble purpose." When your purpose is noble, the process of becoming a servant is much easier. In my real estate career, my noble purpose is helping anyone that values homeownership realize that goal. Everyone deserves to be a homeowner. In working with Facilities Magazine, the noble purpose is providing solutions for building owners and managers. Everyone deserves an opportunity to grow, learn and become more adept in their trade. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ed, I have stumbled on rough times myself. And someWhere dOwn thE line I forgot that principle. We are still serVice proViders. No matter. How you look at it...... Tim

    ReplyDelete