Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I Did NOT Steal Those Books In Chicago, But if I Did I Would Steal These

Dateline: August 31, 2011 in the Chicagoland section of The Chicago Tribune, headline reads; Janitor charged with stealing thousands of books from Lisle library, By Brian Slodysko, Tribune reporter.

“Security procedures at the Lisle Library will be evaluated after a Glen Ellyn man who worked as a late-night janitor was charged with carting off thousands of stolen library books”.

For the record, I have not been to Chicago since August of 2010; I have never lived in Glen Ellyn and have never worked that night shift at that library. To those reading this headline and just naturally assuming it was I are wrong. I never stole a book from any library and feel that this sort of crime is one of the lowest.

To keep the record straight, once I reported a library book lost and paid the library for it but I knew where it was all the time. After checking with Strand’s in New York City, the final authority on hard to find books, paying the library for this book was the only way I could have it.

Now that I have cleared up this late breaking news, cleared my own good name and made a confession of my one misdeed against any library, we can all now move on past all this ugliness.


I am the sum total of the genetics I inherited from my parents, every person I have ever met and had any conversation with, every broom, janitor’s and utility closet I have been in across the United States but most of all every book I have ever read. (My antique book collection once numbered 4,000 volumes and those were just my collectibles).

What books would a janitor steal? I will share with you the list of books I would steal if I were a book thief. This is not in any order but this is my drop-dead list of the books I NEED around me just to feel OK.

How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

The Book of Proverbs by King Solomon (to be read one chapter every day)

Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind by Al Ries and Jack Trout

Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples

Quality Is Free: The Art of Making Quality Certain by Philip B. Crosby

Time Power: The Revolutionary Time Management System That Can Change Your Professional and Personal Life by Charles R. Hobbs

Computer Lib/Dream Machines by Theodor H. Nelson

Stronger Than Steel: The Wayne Alderson Story by R. C. Sproul

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

The Book of Proverbs by King Solomon (to be read one chapter every day)

Being Digital by Nicholas Negroponte

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

If I'm in Charge Here Why Is Everybody Laughing? By David P. Campbell

My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers (to be read every day)

Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution by Steven Levy

The Book of Psalms by King David (read five chapters every day)

I do not read business books anymore. I used to but then it just got dumb with books on what I could learn about business from packs of wolves.

This one along with several others I could write what I learned for a very long time but every leader needs to read The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli.

If this list looks daunting then start with How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler. One of the best books you will ever read. Adler was the general editor of the Encyclopedia Britannica for many years and one of my favorite authors of all time. He said there was no such thing as an educated person under the age of 50, it simply is not possible. He said many things about education and as I grow older, I see how right he was.
Let me know when you get through this list and I will share the next one with you gladly. Since some of you care and want to know, I also have with me when I read a soft 4B pencil and either jelly beans or orange marshmallow Circus Peanuts (zero fat grams and good for you)!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is ugliness and rather shocking and hard news at that. I always laugh when everyone accuses the building staff or cleaning crew when anything goes missing. In this case, they were right. What do they say, a stopped clock is right twice a day? As far as books, the list is a good one. In my early twenties I was told to read "The Prince." I think I was too young, so I better go back and read it again. Thanks for reminding me. I did get the gist of it, but now that I am over 50 it will have more meaning. Mortimer Adler and I crossed paths, but for the life of me I cannot recall how or why? I am racking my brain on that one. Thanks for the walk down memory lane!! Have a great Labor Day holiday.
    Thanks,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait just a minute...I DO live in Glen Ellyn. Fortunately, I am gainfully employed by ISSA and have discoved the power of a Kindle. I guess that is one more possible suspect you can cross off your list.

    ReplyDelete